1.29.2015

soft hearts & open minds


Steve & I have been so busy the past little while. With work, family, traveling, but despite our busy schedule, I have had quite a bit of time to think and let my mind wander about a few things. I am always, always, always thinking about what is going on in my life, things that I have done, what I haven't, what I should do, something I should have done different, scrolling through the list of relationships that I have in my life, those that are close to my heart, those that are more acquaintances. I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of people in my life, especially with the job that Steve and & I have. With all of the people that I have come across in my life, whether they are family, close friends, child-hood neighbors, or recent introductions, every single on has come from a different walk of life, has different beliefs, standards, and values; but every single person that I have met has been incredibly special, interesting, amazing, and quite frankly awesome in their own way.

(As far as the people that slam their doors in my face - I'm sure that they are awesome too, they just aren't showing me that part of their lovely life).

Anywho, I think back to all of these people that I know personally, or that I know of, to our interactions, to those that have done me wrong, or to those that I wish I would have handled situations differently with and it opens my eyes to how incredibly special each person on this earth is. Each person has feelings, a soul, a family, a want, a need. We may know the things of this persons life, or we may not have an idea. Each person is a child of God who has worth, who is loved, and who has a purpose.

After reading a few articles online the past couple days, watching a few broadcasts, having insightful conversations with Steve, as well as really dialing in this wandering mind of mine, it has been more apparent to me than ever that no matter the person that I come across, they have incredible significance in this life. NO matter their beliefs, their interests, their values or standards, they deserve to be respected. NO matter what they have or haven't done to me, or you, or someone else, it is my (or yours, or the other persons) responsibility to care for that person in that moment. Whether it be with words, thoughts, feelings.

I want to make sure I am always showing kindness to those around me. Even when it may be really really really hard. Because believe me, I have had a some of those moments, and it IS really really really hard to put anger, disappointment, disagreeance behind you, but when you do, it changes everything.

To me it is hard and saddening to see people, children of God, regardless of their religion, social status, beliefs, or values, to treat one other with negative, hurtful, hateful comments. People who know each other, and more disturbingly, people who have never even met or heard of each other before. When communicating with others, let us not put our opinions aside or disregard our standards and beliefs, but learn how to respect and appreciate other with dignity and fairness. Let us not comment to create hurtful controversy. It IS possible to do both. One of my good friends Abi said it best, "We are here to love one another. We are here to bring one another unto Christ. We are commanded to be kind, to be good, to work together to create a world filled with hope. When we discuss these things on the internet or in real life, remember our Savior and do as He would."

I want to be the bigger person
I want to be the example
I want to be the kind one
I want to be the one that people can turn to when they need support, or trust.


To working towards soft hearts and open minds forever and always. Let's do it.

>>  Ry

3 comments :

  1. I love this. You are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post so much...so many good points! It's amazing isn't it, how each and every person whose path we cross has an impact on our lives, how all of us are so special and important. You're amazing! And I agree that it's so crucial to show kindness, compassion, empathy and love to those around us (even though that can be easier said than done haha). Your thoughts remind me of the St. Francis prayer and I think you would love it:

    Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.

    O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.

    xox, Maya Beth
    mylifeasmaya.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:51 PM

    i just found your blog from instagram and have now read this post over 3 times. you are an incredible writer, first off - and i love this post!! what an incredible reminder that i needed today. it is so hard to forgive people who have wronged us, but you're right - doing so changes everything. thanks for sharing - i'm exciting to follow along with your blog!

    xo

    ReplyDelete